Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What plant is this? (Ranunculaceae?)? and Agrostis stolonifera

What plant is this? (Ranunculaceae?)?



I have a wildflower growing in the wet part-shady areas of my yard in Michigan that I've been all over the internet and USDA plant database trying to identify. I thought it was a member of Ranunculaceae, since it looks so much like a tiny persian buttercup, but now I'm not so sure because I can't find anything that matches this flower exactly. I've uploaded (I hope) pretty thorough pictures here:

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/JoGeek/Mystery%20Flower/

The main characteristics, as far as I can tell (not a botanist) are a hollow, diamond-shaped stem, small (1") very regular many-petaled flowers with a sort of waxy shine, seperate petals and green center. Two kinds of leaves, the first kind are on a separate stem and are palmate, deeply lobed. The second are only on the flowering stems and are a clump of three simple, elongated smooth-edged leaves. It is spreading rapidly through the shady, wetter area along the back of my house. Anyone know, even a common name?
The leaves are much different from the marsh marigold, although the flowers look identical. It's also in evenly moist soil, but not standing water. Could it be a variant of some kind?


inflorescence best answer:

Answer by Sandy G
It looks like a double marsh marigold (Caltha palustris var. 'Flore Pleno') to me, and the habitat sounds right.


inflorescence

Agrostis stolonifera
inflorescence

The inflorescence is an open panicle at anthesis where the branches have a whorled arrangement at each node. Maturity and exposure to sun seem to dictate how reddish the infloresence appears.



Orignal From: What plant is this? (Ranunculaceae?)? and Agrostis stolonifera

No comments:

Post a Comment