Friday, April 18, 2014

Iris's stopped blooming? and Drop and Curve, Aloe

Iris's stopped blooming?



When I bought my house the iris's were almost completely blocked from the sun by some bushes. I actually didn't know there were any iris's until they bloomed. So I took out the bushes and made some nice flower beds and replanted the iris's. They didn't bloom the year we did that but that's fine. Now a year later they grew like crazy so I know they're alright but still no blooming. What can I do to make them bloom? They are clearly healthy as they are growing like mad but I didn't want leaves in my beds I wanted flowers.


bloom best answer:

Answer by Kacky
The corms, or bulbs, need to be exposed to the sun. You may have to dig them up and re-plant very shallow, each one on a little skinny mound of dirt, so that the roots are under the dirt but the bulbs are high and dry. I like to plant them in threes, with the pointy ends of the bulbs in the center. You can clip the leaves down into 6-inch-tall sails to keep the irises from tipping over after they are re-planted. I sometimes stick wooden skewers into the ground to prop them up.


bloom

Drop and Curve, Aloe
bloom

Focus on just one part of the aloe bloom at my home. This aloe is one of maybe fifty gnarled aloe plants that crowd a large pot in my front yard. Talk stalks rise up occasionally, about 4 feet, with buds that bloom single along the stalks for about 1 foot. This is different than the aloe with clusters of blooms on large aloe in my yard landscaping. When these drops open to reveal tiny pistils with pollen, the insects find it quickly, and so do the hummingbirds.

Here is another aloe in bloom, but it has clusters of blooms (from the Boyce Thompson Arboretum) instead of the row of drops that form along this variety of stalk. This image is best viewed large.



Orignal From: Iris's stopped blooming? and Drop and Curve, Aloe

No comments:

Post a Comment