Saturday, February 22, 2014

Why won't my wisteria bloom? and Can it bloom in December?

Why won't my wisteria bloom?



I live in south Florida, and have had my wisteria for at least 7 years. When the hurricanes hit in 2004, my wisteria was cut all the way back (it was only like a year old or so then). It is very healthy, great foliage and strong vines. It just does not bloom, never has! I was worried because of the zone I am in (9-10), but I have seen blooming wisteria around here. I have heard it may take 8-10 yrs to bloom. I have also heard that I should prune it. But, when you go up north Florida, like Gainesville area, you see it growing wild high up in trees. I know that is not pruned. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!


bloom best answer:

Answer by Sandy G
Wisterias are weeds and will take over if you are not careful. They can destroy houses and outdoor structures if not kept in check. They flower on the previous year's growth, so they benefit from a hard pruning in the early summer, then allow them to grow over the summer. Trim back the new growth in the late summer to keep it under control, but don't remove all the new growth. They can take several years to start flowering, but 7 years seems like a long time with no flowers at all. They like strong sunshine and do not need any fertilizer.

Some wisterias will just never bloom...they are sterile plants and nothing you do will get them to flower.


bloom

Can it bloom in December?
bloom

A tiny delicate bloom is trying to find happiness - alone in Boston in late December.



Orignal From: Why won't my wisteria bloom? and Can it bloom in December?

No comments:

Post a Comment