Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Do Loropetalum bloom on new wood, old wood, 1 yr old wood, both, or what? and Red bloom

Do Loropetalum bloom on new wood, old wood, 1 yr old wood, both, or what?



I would like to espaliate one on a trellis, curious if I'll get consistent blooms across the plant or not. Thanks.


bloom best answer:

Answer by Amy R
Last year's growth, mostly, in my experience. So if you are trimming it for shape do it after it blooms and then be patient so it has the right age wood the next spring to bloom - I have trimmed it late in the summer and had almost no blooms the following fall, so you may need to continue to trim up the entire thing to get regular blooms - they are vigorous, though.


bloom

Red bloom
bloom

Sun on left, white card on right and black table mat of kitchen table, my fav of the last four.



Orignal From: Do Loropetalum bloom on new wood, old wood, 1 yr old wood, both, or what? and Red bloom

No comments:

Post a Comment