Sunday, November 24, 2013

Can I grow potatoes in my garden? and Garden mothing 2010 #7, 28 April

Can I grow potatoes in my garden?



I have a very small garden in a suburb, about 20' by 60.' It has good sunlight. Most of it is a lawn with a small border full of plants. Is there any chance at all that I could grow enough potatoes to eat so that I don't need to buy them from a supermarket - or is that completely unrealistic, just a pipe dream? I was wondering if I could buy seeds (or whatever it is you have to buy!) and just try growing some potatoes at the end or in a corner...just to keep my bills down and also out of sheer curiousity...

I am the first to admit that I know absolutely nothing about gardening...or farming. If I'm talking b/s please put me out of my misery now...but I just can't help wondering...

Many thanks.


Garden best answer:

Answer by Sydney
Well potatoes are vegetables and vegetables don't have seeds I heard. But when planting potatoes you are suppose to cut up a potatoe and plant it since it is like a seed


Garden

Garden mothing 2010 #7, 28 April
Garden

Purple Thorn, Selenia tetralunaria.

Last night was ideal for mothing - calm, cloudy and mild - so I thought I'd pop the trap out. Best night this year by far! This Purple Thorn was an early arrival and really pleased me as it is the first that I've seen in the garden.

Macros:
Red Twin-spot Carpet 5
Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet 1 (new for garden)
Double-striped Pug 7
Currant Pug 1 (new for garden)
Oak-tree Pug 1 (new for garden)
Purple Thorn 1 (new for garden)
Pebble Prominent 1
Streamer 1 (new for garden)
Waved Umber 2
Shuttle-shaped Dart 1
Spectacle 1
Hebrew Character 3
Common Quaker 2
Clouded Drab 1

Micros:
Twenty-plume 3
Eriocrania subpurpurella 1
Agnopterix sp. 1


(Was a shame it was a work night because I would have loved to have kept the trap running until well past my bed time.)



Orignal From: Can I grow potatoes in my garden? and Garden mothing 2010 #7, 28 April

No comments:

Post a Comment