Sunday, November 24, 2013

What flowers will grow best on east side of house? and Flower

What flowers will grow best on east side of house?



I live in Zone 7b. I am wanting to do a flower bed next to my house facing east. My thumb is not green. Does anyone have any suggestions as to tall flowers for close to the house, mid-high flowers for the middle, and a good border flower? I would like to do a variety of different colored Foxgloves for next to the house and some Phlox for the border. Any suggestions?
There are no big trees nearby, just a tall thin bush/tree on the south side of the garden that doesn't realy give much shade. Otherwise it's pretty much open. It's in Oklahoma, like I said, zone 7b. so it can get pretty hot. I really don't want anything taller than about 4' or so in the back right up next to the house, that's why I was thinking Foxgloves. Something that is really too much taller than that would be too tall in my opinion. Any more suggestions? So far everything sounds great and maybe my thumb will have a tinge of green this year!


flower best answer:

Answer by dances_with_unicorns1955
It depends on the temperatures in your area. In hot areas, the north or east side of a structure is usually good, to shield the plants from excess sun and heat. If you live in a northerly area, the southern or western exposures are often better to give your plants the benefit of all the warmth they can get.

One of the tall plants I like best for a bed that's close to the house are gladiolus. They are bulb plants, and very easy to plant and grow. Your idea of foxglove and phlox for an eastern exposure sounds very good. Make sure the foxgloves are not where children or pets can get to them easily, as they are very poisonous; foxglove is the source for digitalis, a powerful heart medication.


flower

Flower
flower

Flower



Orignal From: What flowers will grow best on east side of house? and Flower

No comments:

Post a Comment